Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A Little Introduction to the Lady behind "The Modern Day Miss Honey"



I have been involved in education for many years. I've enjoyed my time as a 6th grade teacher for the last three years but got my start in 1st and 3rd grade. I am the 6th grade team leader and I enjoy learning from and teaching the other teachers around me. Math, science and literacy are three of my favorite subjects to "create" new material, but I love learning and growing in every other subject area.
I love to begin every lesson with something that makes my students sit on the edge of their seats. When I know I've got their attention, It's time to start with giving good directions and clear expectations so that I can set them out to explore. I believe in teamwork, exploration, high-expectations, and rich extensions.
I have been blessed with opportunities to extend myself as a 2nd year as the 6th Grade Team Lead (CTL) and I was given a neat honor called the KSL Teacher Feature Award in 2013, by one of my sweet students. 
I started my education in Idaho in the Nursing and Biology fields. I realized that my passion for these subjects came from wanting to educate others about those topics, so I became and Elementary Education major and have been teaching ever since. (I've always found ways to incorporate my biology background into my teaching. Whether it's something we actually 'have' to learn or something we just get to talk about.
I am a visual learner- so the things I love to upload and download tend to be things for the bulletin board or things to put inside of a notebook! I love new ideas and I truly believe that the best ideas are built off of many ideas. Just like the African Proverb, "If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." Let's all go together, and make teaching an enriching place to be enjoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment